Football and ballet?
There are more similarities to the footwork than you would think. Both activities use the same muscle groups and require similar skills. They even share some of the same injuries.
What can football players gain by practicing ballet?
- Flexibility – to avoid tackles and make catches
- Speed and Agility – to recover speed after changing direction or spinning to avoid a tackle
- Strength – to increase muscle without bulk, especially important for kickers and other offensive players
- Balance – to land on their feet after leaping for a catch and to stay on their feet during a tackle
- Mental Focus – to follow complex plays, track the position of the ball in the air and make decisions on the fly.
- Endurance – to strengthen their heart and circulatory systems enabling intense muscular work with less tiring.
For a testimony on a 320-pounder who straps on the slippers, check out: